Strahov Monastery Theological Hall
Posted by Avital Pinnick on December 31, 2013
The Theological Hall was built in the late 1600s by an architect of Italian origin, which explains the Italian Baroque stucco cartouches in the ceiling. The ceiling frescoes were added in 1727. The library contains some 18,000 volumes, mainly theological works.
Painted statue of St. John the Evangelist (patron of toothaches?):
The connecting hall outside the libraries houses a Cabinet of Curiosities and illuminated manuscripts.
Albert of Sternberk’s Pontifical (1376). As a jigsaw puzzle it is priced very reasonably at $24.99.