Pinkas Synagogue, Prague
Posted by Avital Pinnick on October 14, 2013
The Pinkas Synagogue is a memorial to the 80,000 Jews from Bohemia and Moravia who were murdered by the Nazis during World War Two. The building was built in 1535 by Aaron Meshullam Horowitz between his house and the Old Jewish Cemetery.
View of the interior of the synagogue, with the names and dates of the victims inscribed on the walls. The work was designed and executed from 1954 to 1959 (for more details, see the Jewish Museum site). Because the synagogue is close to the river and very low, it has suffered extensive flood damage in the past and the names have been repainted.
On either side of the Torah ark are inscribed the names of the ghettos and camps to which the Jews of Bohemia and Moravia were deported.
On the second floor is an exhibit of some of the children’s drawings from Terezin (1942-1944), created during a course of art classes taught by Mrs. Friedl Dicker-Brandeis (1898-1944). Before she was deported to Auschwitz, she filled two suitcases with 4,500 drawings and hid them. They were recovered after the war. See the Jewish Museum site for more details.
View of the sanctuary from the women’s gallery on the second floor.